Thursday, May 3, 2012

Something I NEVER do...

Something I never do is talk about or write about things that may be controversial or upset people.  If you know me, you know I stay as far away from conflict as possible; if you know me well, you know that I am VERY opinionated.  What I am about to write is MY opinion, and MY feelings.  I do not intend to offend anyone or cause any issues.  With that being said, I would like to say what has been on my mind this past week:
We had a very nice lesson from Bishop Pruitt on Sunday.  (I didn't hear most of it because I was trying to keep Vera calm because she was VERY over-tired.)  He did hand out a pamphlet though Family Guidebook which was used on Monday in our family home evening lesson.  Our lesson (taught by my best friend Amanda) was about Satan attacking the home and family.  I have heard many lessons about this, however this time, some points were brought up that I have never even thought of before! Amanda brought Maslow's hierarchy of needs to teach us.

As you can see there are certain things you MUST have in order to move higher up the pyramid to being a moral, creative, spontaneous, problem solving, non-prejudice, productive person.  In other words, you have to have the physiological needs like air, food, water, sleep, etc before you can have security of body, employment, resources, morality, the family, health, and property, and so on...  So basically what Amanda was saying is look around you.  Satan is attacking us starting at the lowest level of needs.  He knows that if we can't get these things, we can never move up to Self-actualization.  We have so many fast food restaurants around that are providing our bodies with poor health.  We are also usually eating this fast food in a car and or separated from our family.  Out goes the family dinner time!  We are encouraged to stay up late and waste our lives in front of the television, which for the most part is NOT spiritually uplifting.  Friendship, family, and sexual intimacy are being attacked from every angle!  More and more people are deciding that their friends are disposable, their family is not as important as something else they could be doing.  Teens are engaging in sexual intimacy earlier and earlier!  There is little regard for marriage between a man and a woman in the world.  Marriage between anyone is becoming more accepted by everyone as is sexual intimacy before marriage!  People are disregarding education and idolizing worldly things!  Students in elementary AND high school are more enthralled with their new I phone than they are worried about their upcoming test!  And many people I know that use Medicaid or food stamps have the latest and the greatest electronics, the coolest back pack for their kids, the most expensive tennis shoes for the beginning of the school year!  Children are not being taught the importance of education and employment (AKA hard work) because they already have everything they want without those things.  Assistance and skewed priorities are leading to a world of lazy, demanding people.

Respect is flying out the window.  Respect for others, family members, the elderly, even God is diminishing.  Just last night I went to my brother's orchestra concert at the high school.  I was walking around holding my tiny baby and high school students were running into me with absolutely no regard.  There was no, "Excuse me."  or "I'm sorry!"  They just went along like nothing even happened!  Now is the part of this that I'm afraid may cause some issue... my rant and rave about "OMG."  I hear it everywhere.  It is on commercials, billboards, signs, your children are saying it, temple recommend holding members of the church are saying it.  It has become an everyday saying.  Many people justify it by saying it's only an abbreviation or a saying.... or it stands for OH MY GOSH!!!  N.O.  NO.  This is just another way that Satan is penetrating the home and the family.  He is getting people to think that this is just a common everyday phrase.  I don't care if you are Mormon or not... if you are a Christian, taking the name of the Lord your God in vain is breaking the commandments!  We all believe in those!!!  This is my biggest pet peeve... People THINK!  It has become so common that people just don't even think before they speak.

I have resolved to make a greater effort to have homemade food as much as possible WITH my husband.  I will work harder to keep my home clean, my TV clean, my music clean, and my thoughts clean and pure.  I have made a greater effort to read my scriptures and say prayers daily.  I will start attending the temple regularly again, and work generally harder to keep my home and family free from Satan's attacks.  I recently acquired a picture of Christ and a frame from my mother in law.  I refinished the frame and hung it in my living room.  I think this is another great way to keep Satan out.  If I am constantly reminded to be more Christ-like from looking at His face, I think it will be easier for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.